Creamy Vegan Queso
I made this “queso” for the Super Bowl two years ago, and after someone asking, “where’d you get the queso?” I made it again this year.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for legit, cheese-filled queso goodness. But if I can make it taste good, healthy, and dairy-free… why wouldn’t I?
This is one of my tried-and-true party dips that is easy to make, inexpensive, and a crowd-pleaser.
Vegan Queso Ingredients:
· 2 cups raw cashews
· ¼-½ cup cashew water from reserve* (see below)
· Juice of ½ a lemon
· 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
· ¾ cup nutritional yeast (for the cheesy taste & yellow color)
· 1½ tsp smoked paprika
· 1 tsp cumin
· 1 tsp chili powder
· 1 tsp onion powder
· ½ red bell pepper, roughly chopped
· 5 cloves roasted garlic
· 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
· 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (well-drained)
· A Heat Safe Bowl
· Slotted Spoon
· Vitamix or high power blender
1. Place raw cashews in a heat-safe bowl; cover with boiling water & let sit until soft, about 20-30 minutes.
2. Remove cashews from bowl with a slotted spoon (keep the water, you’ll need about ½ a cup for blending) and place soaked cashews in blender.
3. To the blender, add remaining ingredients except for the Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes & Chilies. Pulse on high until smooth.
4. Pour into a bowl, add diced tomatoes and chilies, and serve with your favorite veggies or tortilla chips. (I love Siete Foods Grain-Free Tortilla Chips!)
* You can increase the water from the bowl of cashews slowly. Start with ¼ cup. If your queso is not blending well, add an additional tablespoon as a time.